My grandmother Genevieve Creswell passed away last night at 11:42 PM. She died very peacefully. My parents, Aunt Linda, cousin Heather, sister Emilie, and brother Joseph were present for the last hours of her life. It's a bittersweet time for us. Sweet because we know that our dear mother, sister, grandmother, and great grandmother is in a sweeter place. We know last night she was greeted by so many loved ones on the other side. We are happy that she is finally free from the physical, mental, and emotional pain she has endured for several years. Of course, we will miss her terribly. And that's the bitter part. My children got to know their great grandmother very well as we visited her often while she was in the care center. T and A liked to take her on walks, comb her hair, paint her fingernails, sing her songs, watch I Love Lucy, and give grandma lots of hugs and kisses. They were never shy to show their affection for her, and I know my grandma appreciated their love. Last Saturday, the day before her final stroke, the kids and I spent the afternoon watching I Love Lucy episodes with grandma. She was in such good spirits and at points laughed heartily with A during the shows. We gave her several hugs and kisses as we left for the day and promised to return Sunday to watch more Lucy. As we were walking away A ran back to give grandma one more hug. Then she raised her right hand and waved goodbye to us as she always had. This was the last time I saw her before her stroke the next morning. I'm so glad the kids and I were able to spend that time with her. My grandmother was an extraordinary woman, loved and respected by so many. I am honored to have her for a grandmother and love her with all my heart and soul.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
My Grandmother Genevieve
My grandmother Genevieve Creswell passed away last night at 11:42 PM. She died very peacefully. My parents, Aunt Linda, cousin Heather, sister Emilie, and brother Joseph were present for the last hours of her life. It's a bittersweet time for us. Sweet because we know that our dear mother, sister, grandmother, and great grandmother is in a sweeter place. We know last night she was greeted by so many loved ones on the other side. We are happy that she is finally free from the physical, mental, and emotional pain she has endured for several years. Of course, we will miss her terribly. And that's the bitter part. My children got to know their great grandmother very well as we visited her often while she was in the care center. T and A liked to take her on walks, comb her hair, paint her fingernails, sing her songs, watch I Love Lucy, and give grandma lots of hugs and kisses. They were never shy to show their affection for her, and I know my grandma appreciated their love. Last Saturday, the day before her final stroke, the kids and I spent the afternoon watching I Love Lucy episodes with grandma. She was in such good spirits and at points laughed heartily with A during the shows. We gave her several hugs and kisses as we left for the day and promised to return Sunday to watch more Lucy. As we were walking away A ran back to give grandma one more hug. Then she raised her right hand and waved goodbye to us as she always had. This was the last time I saw her before her stroke the next morning. I'm so glad the kids and I were able to spend that time with her. My grandmother was an extraordinary woman, loved and respected by so many. I am honored to have her for a grandmother and love her with all my heart and soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm very sorry. I am glad for you, though, that your last time with her was positive and full of joy.
I am so glad you took those pictures. Seeing those pictures made me miss her even more. Grandma always enjoyed her grandchildren and great grandchildren.
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. I'm so glad your family could spend time with her and that your children got to know her well - such a rare opportunity. Such a nice tribute you wrote, too!
I am so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. I know it's such a tender time! May you remember the goods times.
Andrea
Post a Comment