Thursday, April 3, 2008

We're finally here!

California is awesome! When we arrived it was 69 degrees, sunny, and beautiful. Where we live is simply breathtaking. The community is masterplanned so there are bike trails interwoven throughout all the neighborhoods. You can pretty much get anywhere on a bike trail: schools, parks, shopping, library, etc. Which is good since gas is almost $4 a gallon! Anyway, I can walk T to school every day, and the gym I hope to teach at is like 2 minutes away. We also have pools and hot tubs all over our community we can use. Honestly, I have a feeling that we're never going to want to leave here. Of course Roman's career will dictate where we'll be in the future. We could very well end up in the D.C. area in the next couple of years. But, wherever we end up it will be an adventure as long as we're close as a family. So now I'm busy unpacking the house and got T registered for school yesterday. Next week will be decision time for T's future in gymnastics. They are VERY competitive here in California. In Utah T would be ready for competition level 5. Here she's probably a competitive level 4. But the committment and financial responsibilities are HUGE! I'm not so worried about the financial committment as I am the time she'll have to invest. I'm talking 12 hours a week to start, manadatory meets, mostly on Sundays. It'll only get worse as she progresses along. Anyway, I wish there was a gym here that could teach her skills without competing on Sundays, but there aren't. I have a few ideas up my sleeve. I'll keep you posted. As far as A is concerned. I'm not enrolling him in preschool for the last two months we're here. For two days a week, it's almost $300 bucks in some places! I may regret my decision especially on those days A drives me to banging my head against the wall. I'll just have to be creative I guess. Quality time with Mom. Should be interesting....

11 comments:

MooreInterest said...

Enjoy California! Happy to see you have arrived, and getting settled! I'm jealous for the weather! Let us know when you get to Utah!

HESS FAMILY said...

We miss you guys. We had to go out to lunch yesterday, just because that's what we did on Wednesdays with you, it definitely wasn't the same. Keep in touch and good luck with the decision. Oh and we are coming to CA in Sept...

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

You're so funny! This post was awesome. It's so good hearing about your new *glorious!* life in Cali. Sounds awesome! Wanna switch places? ;) We're looking for a community just like the one you guys have found. Keep us posted. By the way ... enjoy your Q-time with A ... it may never come again in this form!!

Tiffany said...

Sounds like an awesome place to live. You won't want to leave! I miss the California weather.

Leah Re-Etta said...

I'm glad you like california. I'm jealous of your nice weather. The weather here will be awesome one day and it will snow during the night and we'll have three inches of snow the next morning. I have only had one job interview so far up here in logan but I have another next week in bountiful. I still don't know where i'll be for sure this summer.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Melissa! I found your blog from Staci's blog. . .thought I'd say hi! :) It's been a while. I don't think I've seen or talked to you since your bridal shower. . . I'm Elizabeth (Doyal) Turpin, btw.

So, CA huh? We finally moved away from there two years ago after 6 LONG years. . .It was nice but miserable at the same time for us. . .maybe if it were affordable, and family didn't live on the east coast! It was very beautiful, and we did LOTS of sight seeing while there. . .took advantage of our adventure there!

Staci said...

quality time with mom...and the library. f loves the library and we go once a week.

Maren said...

I've been wondering how you guys are doing. It sounds like you are liking your new place, yay!! I hope the gymnastics things gets figured out. That's tough. Have fun doing the rest of your unpacking!

Heather Marie said...

Sounds like Valencia is the place to be! I miss you guys! I am excited to come! I am sorry that you can't find a gym that doesn't have meets on Sunday....I do hope you can work something out. Love ya lots!

Laisa said...

Hey Melissa, I know its been YEARS, so you probably don't remember me - Laisa Nielson from the 4th ward, T was just a baby when you guys left. Anyway, your family is so beautiful & it sounds like you're loving Cali - I only like to visit fam & Disneyland there (ha ha) - I would love their weather though.